How to root your Redmi 1S
with MIUI 6 or MIUI 7 Global ROM
by simply using MI-Recovery
This simple step-by-step guide explains how to root the MIUI 6 or MIUI 7 Global ROM on your Redmi 1S by onlyusing the stock MI-Recovery. It does not require installing a custom recovery, installing fastboot on your PC or even using a PC at all.
By following this guide you will get a new app SuperSU by which you can control the root permission for your apps that are requesting root. You will not see these apps listed in Security > Permissions > Root access.
In most cases this approach of rooting should not block OTA updates. You can also easily unroot in the settings of the SuperSU app.
- Redmi 1S with Stock MI-Recovery and MIUI 6 or MIUI 7 Global Rom (5.4.10 or later)
- file Root_HM1S_MIUI6_Global.zip (attached, please reply to this thread to download the attachment)
- Download the file Root_HM1S_MIUI6_Global.zip to your phone (internal memory or SD card)
- Launch the Updater app
- From the menu select 'Choose update package', navigate to the folder where you downloaded the fileRoot_HM1S_MIUI6_Global.zip and select it
- The updater app now reboots into the recovery, installs the update and then performs a reboot
- After the reboot has finished, start the newly installed app SuperSU and choose 'Continue' to update the SU binary
- In the next dialog select 'Normal' and an updated su binary will get installed
- Finally confirm to 'Reboot' after the successful installation
- Check that root works properly by launching an app which requests root permissions (like Root Checker orTitanium Backup) and confirm the dialog asking for Superuser request with 'Grant'.
- Enjoy your rooted Redmi 1S
Important:It could happen that after an OTA update with a full ROM you need to apply root again, thus keep theRoot_HM1S_MIUI6_Global.zip file in your phone storage.
- Credits go to Chainfire for his app SuperSU
- Many thanks for testing, hints and providing screenshots to @abhirupshaw and @fksgs2
Source: Miui Forums